Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Covenant Agreements

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Back in the day; a group call Jagged Edge had a song called “promise”. Now I ain’t gone lie. I use really like this song. The lyrics went like this:
Nothing is promised to me and you
So why will we let this thing go
Baby I promise that I'll stay true
Don't let nobody say it ain't so
And baby I promise
That I will never leave
That everything will be alright, I
I promise these things to you
Girl just believe
I promise 
The problem with this song is after examining the lyric content; I realized that the song is actually about an covenant agreement. Making purposed promises in order to fulfill desires can and will put you into binding contracts, physically as well as spiritually. Notice that when we are in relationships we enter into them with the understanding that there is an agreement. Let’s call them terms and conditions. As long as both parties abide by the conditions there are no misunderstandings. But with satan, there is always confusion and misunderstanding. satan likes to always add something in the small print. We being blind to the fact will ignore the obvious sign because it seems to be such a sweet deal.
We speak covenants all the time and wonder why it’s so hard to move on from, and get out of past relationships. “I promise to never leave you”, I’ll never love anyone like I love you”. Wonder why we can’t commit fully to God but when that special person calls we drop everything.
James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

Grab and go. Let me attempt to simplify this. Look at it like a credit card with a 200 dollar credit limit and an extremely high interest rate. Let’s say roughly 30 to 40%. The offer that’s made is that they will ensure (promise) that the 200 dollars will be there for you if you were to agree to terms and conditions (the small print in the disclosure). But look at how much you actually have to pay back in interest and whatever other fees that gets tacked on in the end. You could essentially end up owing and paying 10x more back, than from the initial 200 dollar credit card. It doesn't seem to add up does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment