Thursday, January 16, 2014

What we deserve

My daughter takes a crayon and begins to color our walls, I tell her to come to me to spank her (because she knows better). As she walks slowly towards me, frown in her face more disappointed that she had to stop coloring rather than the consequences of her action. She reaches me, without saying a word; she stretches forth her hands for me to pick her up. I look down and see my child desiring to be held. In spite of her intent, as any father would I reach down and pick her up, sit her on my lap and hold her close to my chest. We just sit there enjoying one another. I hold her as long as she will allow me to until she finds something else that captures her attention. Then she’s off again.

            Right where you are, raise your hand if that’s you. In the mist of your sin, God has called you out. Instead of what you deserved (what my mother would say a “butt whooping”) God showed you mercy and grace. How often has God showed an abundance of grace over your life? How often it should have been you in that car accident, you in that hospital bed, or you in that grave. How often what you deserved isn't what you got, because you reached out to God and His Love was shown unto you.Jonah 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

            But unlike the city of Nineveh, we take for granted His Love and kindness and were off to do whatever else it is that pleases us. Not realizing that when we are in His arms all that we could possibly be looking for elsewhere is found with Him and in Him. Overlooking the fact of what could have been if God hadn't withheld what was coming to us. Ezekiel 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Grab and go: We tend to look at someone else’s situation and say what we feel that person deserves.(As Jonah did), (Read The book of Jonah when you get a chance) But what we are so quick to forget is what we deserve. None is worthy no not one.Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: Titus 3:5  Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

No comments:

Post a Comment