Thursday, April 10, 2014

Your good ain't good enough!

I don’t drink, I don’t cuss, I don’t hang out at the clubs that much. I don’t cheat, I don’t steal, and I don’t do drugs. So all in all I’m a good person right?

This is a category that fits so many of us. We have so many attributes about ourselves of things that we don’t do, that we feel somehow this justifies us in other things that we do. Such as we may not steal, but we don’t give either. We don’t cuss, but we have no problem telling someone about themselves. We don’t do drugs but we are addicted to pain killers. We just substitute one thing for another.

With all the things that we don’t do, I guess the question to ask is, what do you do? Instead of focusing all our time on the things we don’t do. How about focusing that time on the things we should be doing more of bearing fruit. The law (the Ten Commandments) are a series of commandments that point out things that we should not do. Thou shall not steal; thou shall not kill etc… Why? Because these things ultimately lead to death. So now that we know what leads to death. What leads to Life? The answer Jesus, (the Way, Truth, LIFE). Striving to be a reflection of He who created us brings life. Bearing the fruit of the Spirit reflects that. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Grab and go: Not doing those things that I mentioned in the beginning, stealing, cheating drugs and etc… is a good thing. But God hasn't called us to be good, but to be righteous. Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me goodthere is none good but one, that is, God. 2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment